Monday, August 1, 2011

Final Thoughts About the UK and France

I recommend purchasing any/all rail or tube passes (RaiIEurope/BritRail) before arriving in England. Once there, there is a difference between the tube and train. I prefer Virgin Train Line, it is a little more comfortable and has very helpful ~orkers. The other train lines (Silver, Connex, & Thames) are like shuttles and make alot of stops. The trains in Paris (RER) are similar to the metro but go above ground and further outside the city. The TVG (France's original speed train), I didn't ride on it so I can't say.

The Paris metro train seemed dirty and no difference between 1st/2nd class and no one to check to see if you had a ticket. For this reason, I felt nervous in Paris. But I did see double decker trains(RER) which was funny to see. I rode one to Disneyland Paris on top. Britain/London posts clearly times and locations of their trains. On the tube/subway, pick your location and it's the color of that line (Victoria, Waterloo, Bakerloo, Jubilee). London is simpler than Paris, where you pick location where you are and where you want to go and you may have to switch lines to get there and always pick the end of the direction is what your looking for.

Common everyday sights include the above

Canal boats (seen throughout the countryside), shopping arcades, old phone boxes, the Tube or underground subway and black cabs. And of course, the double decker bus (not pictured). The traditional English breakfast consists of: toast, bangers (sausage links), eggs, gammon (ham) and a grilled tomato half. The typical English lunch is fish & chips with vinegar and salt. The traditional English dinner is roast beef, roast potatoes, and Yorkshire pudding (which really is a fried roll - tastes good). Brits are into gardening in a big way. Even though they may have a tiny backyard, it contains a garden. Also, if you watch the tele there, a lot of shows are about gardening and remodeling houses. I also saw alot of conservatories (sun rooms) in the backyards. They are beautiful glass rooms, many white (a few brown) aluminum frames and some copper frames. I would love to add one to our house.

MTV is much better here, I enjoy the music. It is not as grungy and rap as our MTV. I enjoyed watching GUlLTY (a funny court type show - audience judges who is guilty), 100% (game show - one closest to 100% wins a little $$ and comes back 5 times), So You Want to be a Millionaire? (game show - multiple choice answers given), The Wedding Show (married at the anvil - their Las Vegas), and a remolding show I don't know the name of where they surprise the owner.

British money is very different from ours in the following ways: The paper bills are brightly multi-colored and in different sizes. The coins are in different sizes, shapes, and weights. Why? This is because it is easier for the blind to function in society without the help from others and possibly being taken advantage of.

Driving Signs Highway Sign Typical Highway scene

Driving in Britain:
Brits drive on the wrong side of the road and on the wrong side of the car. Most cars are stick shift and small European or Japanese cars (Honda, Vauxhall, Citroen, Ford, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Jaguar). I even saw a 3-wheeled car (a 2 seater)! Yeah, and it didn't tip over either! You rarely see speed signs on the highway. Roundabouts are used in 3 or 4 way stops instead of signs or lights. Use CAUTION here.

Oddities

Europe doesn't have SUBWAY shops, it's a shame. I really missed my cold cut trio sandwich. They have baguette sandwiches with very little meat, mostly veggies and cheeses. These sandwiches are long & very thin. In shops and street vendors they are pre-made, and not refrigerated. Needless to say, we didn't eat any. Also, I saw what looked like beef butts/pork butts in shops sitting on a counter ready to be sliced for a sandwich, once again, not refrigerated. Ice is uncommon and not served in drinks. If you want it, you must ask, and you may only receive no more than 4 cubes. I learned to drink warm soda, hey when your thirsty you drink what ya got.

Restrooms/bathrooms are referred to as toilets or loo. If you say restroom/bathroom, they will look at you funny. Remember to ask for a toilet. If a shop has one, you can only use it if you're a customer -not off the street in need of one. Some places charged for the use of the toilet, so have change ready. One train station (either in London or Birmingham) was 20 pence to enter, and the train station in Paris was almost 3 francs (think of it as $3). If you are out sightseeing or walking from point to point as a local there are outside pay toilets. They are nothing like our Johnny-On-theSpots. NO, I refused to use it in public. I used train stations and the train . Oh yeah, if your on a train and you need to go, don't flush while your sitting still at the train station, unless you really didn't like the town leave your calling card (haha).

There were times when I was running late and would call James to let him know my where abouts, I would use a pay phone at the train station and it would take either prepaid phone cards or coins. BUT, if you used coins, did not give change back, it kept what you deposited. I learned this the hard way. Try to use phone cards if you can!

Europe uses the 24hour clock. Since we don't use it, I had to write down my train schedules in our time so when I looked at my watch or a clock, I wouldn't be late for my train.

Toilet paper is rougher than what we are used too. I thought I would throw that one in. It was another observation the International Sales group told me about and they were right. If you are real particular about it, throw a pack in while packing. Otherwise, whatever we have here in the states, although not the same brand or name, can be found over there.

HOTELS

I knew hotels in London and Paris were expensive, even at Holiday Inn. In London, after the transfer to US dollars it ended up being $766 (4 nights); Paris was $847 (5 nights); Gatwick was $280 (1 night). At least it was nice, clean, centrally located, polite staff, safe and familiar. I was told by some of the International Sales group at Boeing to stay at hotels that are 3 stars and up. Anything less, your taking a risk of safety and no in-room toilet/shower (en suite) - it is shared by all on the floor down the hall! But of course, if you want to experience true British life, stay at a small independent hotel or a bed and breakfast. Another alternative would be Youth Hostels (dorm facilities) which offer you a bed for the night at really cheap prices. It fits very well into a budget, and no you don't have to be a teenager or college kid to stay there. Also, the airlines offer great packages to London and Paris for a week (hotel and air inclusive). What it really comes down to is what you see and where you go, not where you stayed.

SHALL I, RETURN ???

I have always dreamed of going to Britain. I really fell in love with the people and the country. The castles were marvelous, beyond belief. Although I was on my own for all of my journeys, I never felt uncomfortable about being alone, they somewhat speak the same language as me. I had no problems on the trains - just decide where am I going today and at what time. Once there, it was usually a short walk to the city center or to the castle. I can't believe another one of my dreams came true. Thank you God and thank you James, I love you dearly!

I learned a lot on this trip. As quiet and shy that I am, I am able to get around by myself (order food, reserve rooms, ask directions, travel plans, etc). I CAN DO IT!II I even spoke to strangers on the train - OPS, my mom taught me better than that. Now James will regret taking this opportunity; because, I will always be looking for airfare bargains in order for me to come back. I had saved up for this trip myself (even selling some of my collectibles). I did what I wanted to and went where I wanted to. So next time, I won't need any t-shirts, magnets or gifts, maybe a few postcards. I will bring along my video recorder, a 35mm camera, a panoramic camera, and my Britain book with a list of sights I want to see.

They say it can take 10 years to see everything in Britain - I'm ready for that challenge! The MOST IMPORTANT thing I learned on this trip:

Take ONLY 1suitcase and wash your clothes every few days!

YES, hopefully many times !!

No comments:

Post a Comment