Monday, August 1, 2011

21 March 1999 Palace of Versailles in France



This is a site I really wanted to see, the Palace of Versailles. The pictures I have seen of it were truly amazing and spectacular. It is unbelievable that someone could live this way, build such monstrous homes and their subjects in poverty. I ventured out myself and took the metro to the correct RER station.

I don't know what the difference is between the 2 types of trains besides the RER is mostly above ground and goes outside the city limits into the suburbs you may say. The train station is about 2-3 blocks away from the Palace. As I walked up to the Palace, I noticed how massive it was. You must enter through the gates and walk on cobblestones to the entrance. As I stood in, line about 15 minutes, this was a calm overcast day, and everyone was on their best behavior. Then you purchase your ticket, an audio guide is extra to describe the items/rooms of its fabulous history. As you go past the chapel and up the stairs to the next level, all HELL broke lose.

I had my video camera ready as I entered each room to capture the moment of WOW. I got past the first room then every major room I and most everyone else, were pushed through by STUPID Japanese tour groups. I couldn't believe how RUDE they were.  Honestly, can't those people do ANYTHING alone?  Apparently, they think they OWN everything and we all should make way for them.  Just as bad as the French are talked about from visiting Americans. I was able to slightly enjoy the gardens outside. It was really odd that day, a cold front was moving in and rain. Most of the statues were covered up so didn't enjoy the fountain/garden area. The Trinons and Hamlet were extra to go see which a tram takes you too. I ended up purchasing a video hoping it will give me a "GOOD VIEW" of the palace and what I had missed.

On the way back to the train depot, it was drizzling and I was so tired and my feet were hurting from walking on the cobblestones I got back to the hotel and had room service deliver onion soup with a brie cheese and smoked ham sandwich - YUMMMM!

No comments:

Post a Comment