Monday, August 1, 2011

17 February 1999 The Journey Begins

Sea Life Center (Aquarium)
The underwater tunnel
I took the bus into town and caught the train to Birmingham. As I got off the train and made it out of the station, I didn't see any signs directing me to any sights. I asked one of the taxi drivers how I should get into town to see sights. He told me which street to take and then I will see the signs as I go up the hill. I walked to Victoria Square where there is a statue of Queen Victoria and walked to the Sea Life Center. I couldn't believe the line for the Sea Life Center, school must have been out.

Birmingham canal and canal boats


I actually saw a canal boat up close like the ones I saw in the Britain book and on BBCAmerica. I wanted to see the Jewelry Quarter, but couldn't find it easily on foot. So I gave up. I spoke to one of the ladies in Customer Service and she said it is not easy by foot and bus is easier - she got lost the first time also. I didn't see any shopping centers like we have here, they have arcades as they call them. They are enclosed ally-way shops. Anything from food shops, clothing, jewelry, antiques, etc. Birmingham is home to Cadbury Chocolates and Duran Duran. It was overcast and drizzle today.

No comments:

Post a Comment